Available test methods include
- Brinell – General purpose method for ferrous materials.
- King Brinell – A portable Brinell tester for parts too large for standard hardness test equipment.
- Rockwell B – For non-ferrous alloys.
- Rockwell C – Widely-used test method for heat treated steel parts.
- Rockwell 15N – Superficial method for thin sections.
- Microhardness – Microhardness surveys using Knoop or Vickers scale are used to determine case depth.
- Portable Testers – For large parts or parts incompatible with standard test methods.